About squeak image compatibility (3.6/7/8)

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Mon Jan 9 01:27:18 UTC 2006

All,

I like the goal that everything that is available works with the current
released version.  If it doesn't work as much information about why should
be documented so that if someone wants to make it work they have a good
starting point.  Or if there is a team for the user to contact or join that
is working on it that should be obvious.  For now I care more about 3.8 then
3.9 since this is the latest released image.

I like the goal that everything that is new works with what was old.  If it
doesn't work then it should be well documented what should be done in the
users code to make it work.  This documentation should be as complete as
possible and written so that most developers can follow it and should
include impacts of other parts of the system the user might not have
considered.

I like the goal of adding more documentation into our code.  Especially in
code that might break to point users to how to use the code properly or what
needs to be done to make it work if the methods are deprecated.

As a user I would like to be able to have my code work with new versions so
that I can continue to benefit from the hard work of the community.  It
doesn't have to go to the level complete painless backward compatibility,
but it should be good enough and communicated well enough so that I don't
find out about a problem in production systems, by way of an angry phone
call from a customer.

Ron Teitelbaum
Ron at USMedRec.com