About squeak image compatibility (3.6/7/8)

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 10:06:29 UTC 2006

On Jan 9, 2006, at 1:53 AM, Cees De Groot wrote:

> On 1/9/06, Blake <blake at kingdomrpg.com> wrote:
>> Well, if it's an exercise for the reader, then what does the
>> community
>> matter?<s>
>>
> I'll ignore your tongue being stuck firmly in your cheek (I hope) ;-).
>
> This is an important thing. Andreas is right that for everything we're
> "kicking out" (note that we haven't kicked out a lot so far), we're
> locking into new stuff. And Squeak is forking. We can scream all we
> want that this is bad, but it is happening. I tend to accept facts of
> life rather than fight them, so the issue at hand is - given that
> Squeak is forking, how do we work with it?

A suggestion that I think I've made in the past is that we explicitly
acknowledge the forking by not privileging any of the forks with the
name "Squeak" or the front page of squeak.org.  Instead, squeak.org
could direct people to the fork that is most likely to be useful to
them, whether that's Squeakland, Tweak, Croquet, Spoon, SqueakLight,
Traits (what we're now calling 3.9a), Seaside (not really a fork yet
but could be), or something else.  Work to make the basic
infrastructure of websites, bug trackers, FTP servers, SqueakMap,
SqueakSource and so on "fork aware" and equally available to any fork
that has a following.  And if you're worried about the negative
connotations of "fork", call them "distributions" instead...

Avi