Questions about the squeak license

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Wed Jan 11 20:47:23 UTC 2006

Cees De Groot wrote on Wed, 11 Jan 2006 11:22:34 +0100
> On 1/11/06, stéphane ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> >         - What is my responsibility as a distributor of Squeak if the user
> > gets damaged
> >         by using Squeak?
> >

> I'd say zero - look at all the disclaimers in the SqueakL. Unless of
> course the user can prove neglect or something.

Exactly! But in the real world there is *nothing* you can do that will
keep a user from suing you anyway. And they might decide to sue Apple
and in that case you agreed to pay for Apple's legal expenses (this is
the part the scared the Debian folks). The user might decide to sue the
USA government or Woody Allen because of some problem they had with
Squeak. You can't prevent it. Of course, in the latter two cases it
wouldn't be your problem, only in the first two.

But to reinforce what Cees said: the license clearly states that neither
you nor Apple can be held reponsible for anything that happens to
someone who gets Squeak from you.

-- Jecel