Lost with Squeak development

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Jan 12 12:11:21 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 12:46:26PM +0100, Samuel Tardieu wrote:
> > Clean out your build directory completely, run configure again, then
> > make. Sometimes the configuration will get out of whack if you have
> > updated the VMM or platforms sources since the last time you ran
> > configure.
>
> I've tried that. It didn't change anything.

I'm not sure what's wrong then. I did a VM build with SVN 1290 and the
latest VMM from SqueakMap, and the only problem I had was the missing
sqGetFilenameFromString().

> > At the moment, the unix platform sources are probably missing
> > a function sqGetFilenameFromString(). If so you can patch something
> > like this into the interpreter to get things working:
>
> Sorry if this sounds rude (it is not), but why isn't this fix committed
> into the SVN repository? Is there a blocking point somewhere? Is there
> any immediate action I could help with to resolve this?

The code snippet I sent was not a fix, it's just the quick and dirty
hack that I personally used the other day to complete a build. I assume
that the SVN sources will get back in sync sometime soon.

The VM sources on SVN are a moving target, and the SVN platform sources
and VMMaker sources can be (and are frequently are) out of sync. At the
moment, they are actually quite good as things have settled down a lot
since the 64 bit updates last year.

Note that I am not one of the VM developers, so don't take what I
say as authorative.  There is a mailing list for VM development at
vm-dev at discuss.squeakfoundation.org.

Dave