Good, thorough Smalltalk reference

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 12:23:51 UTC 2006

On 1/16/06, Marcus Denker <denker at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> First problem: People who want to discover Squeak won't *believe*
> that a book is not needed. Don't even try.

Well... I'm not sure. A thorough tutorial (which we could make
interactive like no-one else) would say more than a thousand books.
And there are books, so if we need to point people to the bookshelf,
it is big enough. At most, I'd make it a thin 'getting started' book.
And maybe a thin 'getting deeper' book. Like <50 pages each, tops.

Anyway, the last proposal I wrote for Squeak in a Nutshell was
rejected by O'Reillly. Maybe time to try it again, call it Seaside in
a Nutshell, that seems to register better on the radar ;-).

> It should talk about Design, Patterns, good style, good ideas (e.g.
> testing), stuff like that.

That's why I pointed out the books I pointed out. They deal exactly
with that sort of stuff. The really important stuff - knowledge that
will easily transport from Squeak to Squeak version, and even across
most Smalltalks.