Beginner smalltalk question: Open Classes and Smalltalk

Jason Rogers jacaetevha at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 17:28:56 UTC 2006

I see one main difference here with Ruby.  When you add methods "at
runtime", eg. programatically, they stick around in the class
definition.  In ruby they are there only in the context of the current
runtime.  Smalltalk saves its runtime state at exit (unless you choose
to not save the image when you exit).  So, meta-programming has a bit
of a different flavor in Smalltalk than in Ruby.

--
Jason Rogers

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I,
but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in
the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved
me, and gave himself for me."
    Galatians 2:20