Seaside vx Ruby vs Ajax vx ?

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 18:39:03 UTC 2006

On 1/16/06, Brad Fuller <brad at sonaural.com> wrote:
> Why should someone choose/not_choose Seaside over the buzz of today
> (Ruby or Ajax.)

Seaside includes Ajax-y things - you can do asynchronous processing
without writing a single line of Javascript.

(In fact, I used 'Ajax' in a VAST WebConnect project, and I'm quite
sure that the IBM guys never considered that possibility. Ajax,
stripped to the core, is dead simple)

Ajax is the most overhyped thing at the moment. My predictions for it
are, therefore, dire. I will bet it will go the way of XML - simple
and interesting at first, then the "Enterprise" folk run away with it
and within 2 years we have W3C AJAX standards that span 1000 pages.
Wanna bet?

In the meantime, XMLHttpRequest is a nice feature. It can really help
to make web applications more usable. Use it in any environment (want
to see "CGI Ajax support"? Takes a whopping 1 minutes probably to
implement it).

Ruby or Smalltalk? I'm a productivity whore and relatively immune to
hypes. So I prefer Smalltalk. YMMV.