SystemTracerV2 (was: Spoon progress 15 January 2006: new minimum, new system tracer)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Jan 16 19:04:30 UTC 2006

On 16-Jan-06, at 7:29 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> Speaking of SystemTracer, I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1) Dan's 64 bit system tracer is tucked away at:
>   http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/dist3/ChangeSets/System-Tracing.2.cs
>
> Could you merge this into SystemTracerV2 so it does not get lost?
I don't recall ever hearing of this version before, which is a bit
worrying. However it has nothing in it different to the .1 file
except the SystemDictionary>wordSize method that has to go into the
mainstream image anyway. So no changes needed I think.

> 2) This system tracer apparently works only for big endian machines.
> Can anyone offer some tips as to what needs to be changed to make
> it work on little enders? I know that the image header needs to
> be written differently, but <dumb question> are there other issues
> in tracing the image itself? </dumb question>
Don't forget that the endianness is converted on startup by the vm.
Or at least, it supposed to be. Anything that isn't would be a problem.

tim
"#define QUESTION ((bb) || !(bb))  - Shakespeare."