Squeak kinda starts up - disaster recovery issue [Hobbyist]

Squeak List squeaklist at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 03:14:05 UTC 2006

Hello all,

  I was happily loading audio samples into Squeak... a few problems, a lot of looking at the sound classes.... but overall, being pleased that I was able to get the samples in and get them to play back as I wanted.

  Then, as sometimes happens when I do something incorrectly, (and in this case I don't recall exactly what I did: probably wrote some ugly workspace code to try playing back differently or something of that nature) Squeak slows down. By that, I mean that dragging windows, typing anything, etc., goes very slowly. This has happened other times and I am sure it is because of my own bad code. Usually, I do a manual garbage collection and just wait a bit: usually the problem just goes away within a minute. No debuggers or anything like that open or appear when this happens. And then everything is back to normal (well seems to be anyway).

  So, what happened was that I saved when Squeak was in that "slowed down" mode. I didn't try re-opening the image until the next day. What happens is this: I have the folder that holds all of my Squeak stuff maximized on the desktop (Win XP). I drop the questionable image onto the VM and then the frame/outline of the Squeak window shows up, but I still see the contents of the background maximized folder. I minimize both windows. When I maximize the Squeak window, the frame is there, but inside of it is nothing but a charming black color. Task manager shows Squeak using high 90% of cpu. This is 3.9 alpha - update 6704, as are the other images I use (other images work fine). The mouse takes the usual shape when in the window, but clicking anything does nothing. Clicking the X to close the window brings up the usual confirmation if I want to save before quitting (I think I have always hit NO). The window closes and that is that.

  Since I did have a decent amount of  "working/good" code in that image, I searched high and low for how to recover from disaster. I imagined that that mysterious .changes file would let me rollback whatever I had done to cause this problem. It didn't quite work that way, but I was able to use find the "Recent changes in file" from the file list to get most of what I wanted. Kinda tedious, but I did recover almost everything - enough to not write this until a week after this happened. At this point it is more of a curiosity if there is any way to actually get that image to "open all the way". Also, this has definitely changed my feeling about the certainty I used to feel when I saved what I was working on... Now I save a lot more often, and never save if Squeak is in one of my induced "slow down" modes.

  Otherwise, Squeak Rules:)

  Ken