Good, thorough Smalltalk reference

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Tue Jan 17 19:20:38 UTC 2006

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 08:15:29 -0800, stéphane ducasse
<ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:

> I do not really think that so much is changing.
>
> 	Traits: you do not have to talk about them
> 	method annotation: same here
> 	bugs fixes:
> 	MC and packages
>
> So for the good style part I do not see why squeak is changing.

Well, I think Traits are pretty important. They have the power to cause us
to reform our thinking much in the way OO did. Maybe start with OO but
ultimately work our way into traits.

The Tweak vs. Morphic thing is significant, too. People like to have, you
know, user interfaces.<s> Someone here mentioned that some of the
available stuff ends without ever leaving the transcript.

Oh, and filtered browsers--somebody mentioned the idea of seeing a limited
subset of classes in the browser. One of my personal principles (when it
comes to writing educational stuff) is to expose the reader to as little
stuff outside of his level as possible. (This gets harder and harder the
way most modern systems are headed. dot-NET is so loaded to the gills with
crap, code-folding becomes an absolute necessity.) Anyway, it's a bit
overwhelming to go into the Squeak browser and see everything ever written
by anybody there.<s>