What is the API? [was:[Re: Good, thorough Smalltalk reference]]

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Tue Jan 17 22:58:15 UTC 2006

On 17.01.2006 09:56, Julian Fitzell wrote:

> If more of our code had good tests, a simple senders
> check would give you a very good idea of how to use the method and of
> whether it is public/private/etc.

What is the API?
Answering this question is very important for being able to define
dependencies between packages: private methods may change, but the
public ones have to be stable (however defined: there are different
compatibility levels) for being downwards compatible.

Currently the correct answer of this question needs category (re)naming
discipline of the developers.

Are there any tools, which help answering this question?
Something like profiling code and getting a statistic about which
methods in which classes are calling which other ones. For Blocks their
containing method may be of interest.

Stephan