Magic Book... (was Re: Re[2]: Good, thorough Smalltalk reference)

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Wed Jan 18 09:34:43 UTC 2006

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 23:08:52 -0800, <goran at krampe.se> wrote:
[on magic book]

Meh. There is something like that, I recall. When I read it, it was still
usable, but awkward and a mess. The problem I see with it is that the
documentation medium becomes subject to code rot on top of everything
else. (We're not talking perfect solutions here, of course, and what I'm
expressing is a matter of taste.)

Personally, I'm not all that interested in a reference. At the point
you're really competent to use a reference, the various available Squeak
browser tools are fine. Meaty tutorials on the big areas would give you
the background you need to use them.

It's really not =that= big a deal. It's been done before. It's just been a
while. I imagine Guzdial's books are still useful, even though they're,
what, a decade old?

You know, I'm looking at Tweak and Croquet and neither of them seem to
have moved much since last summer. Did I miss some ominous news?