marking active menu items

Ralph Boland rpboland at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 00:22:06 UTC 2006

I need to create a menu in which the selectable items (MenuItemMorphs)
are sometimes active and sometimes inactive.
For inactive items nothing is done when they are selected from the menu.

Currently, I plan to indicate the difference by using a line (MenuLineMorph)

to separate the items into two groups with the active items above.
I consider this to be a poor solution for various reasons.  I wonder if
anyone can propose
a better solution and preverably a more standard solution to this problem.
The simpler and more portable the solution the better.

Currently, I am using Squeak  3.6.  I will soon be porting to  3.7 so I can
use a Squeak 3.7 solution.
Porting to 3.8 has been delayed because displaying a method in the debugger
displays the wrong text in a method.  The displayed text is off by one
character for each assignment
operator preceding the displayed text.
(The displayed text is the text of the current message send in the method)

I am using the Linux version of Squeak.

Thanks

Ralph Boland