Refactoring

Nigel Thorne nigel.thorne at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 03:15:35 UTC 2006

Hi Guys,

I have been using Resharper with C# for a long time and have come to rely on
automated refactorings for rapid development. I have been fully aware that
refactoring's origins are in the smalltalk community. I am therefore amazed
that on first impressions the refactoring support in Squeak doesn't seem to
be very extensive. I find this hard to believe, so I must be missing
something..

I have the refactoring browser installed and use it as my code editor. I
have managed to rename classes and methods fine. I found a bug with 'extract
local variable' but it mainly seems to work ok. Are there any shortcut key
presses I can use rather than reverting to using the mouse to perform each
of these refactorings?

I feel that smalltalk has the potential to be my all time favorite
development language, I just need to get my head around how to fly around
the Squeak UI and use it as an IDE.

Has anyone got any pointers?

please forgive the new-bee questions. If there is a better place to ask
these then please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Nigel

--