yet another smallest snapshot, and a visualization

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Sat Jan 21 23:41:30 UTC 2006

On Jan 21, 2006, at 5:38 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> I *really* need to work on my Occlumency skills ;-)

Well, publishing Islands was a pretty big tip-off. :-)

I've been mulling this over from time to time as well. It occurred to
me that one of the big drawbacks to message passing concurrency is
that Islands are much heavier than Processes. That would be even more
true if they were based on native threads or OS processes.

But, since we're talking about substantially modifying the VM, there
might be a way to avoid bloat. If we allowed class pointers to be
distant as well, we could have a system that created relatively small
Islands, starting with a single object. Islands would grow as new
objects were created inside them, message arguments were passed by
value, or CompiledMethods, Classes, literals and the like were pulled
into the Island spoon-style.

This kind of a system would require rethinking the way the
development environment works, system changes are managed etc, since
there isn't really a clearly-delimited "image" anymore. It would be
interesting to see what kind of system emerged from that.

Colin