Decision processes (was: Re: The state of the Squeak community)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Jan 22 01:42:58 UTC 2006

Marcus Denker wrote:
> How would a better state look like?

One of the things that I'd really like to see is a better (as in: more
transparent and better documented) decision making process. I think that
this is at the heart of what upsets many people (including myself) - the
fact that nobody really knows who has decided to do X or Y and by whose
authority.

Take 3.9 for example - to me, it's not surprising that some actions are
perceived as somebody driving their personal agenda if even the big
ticket items on the 3.9 TODO list have no clear indication how they
ended up there and who decided by which means (other than screaming the
loudest) that they'd get into that release. (the same is true for any
past-SqC release btw - I am simply choosing 3.9 because it's the current
one and -for me- one of the most confusing in this regard)

And that of course is part of the state of the community right now -
namely that the processes by which these decisions happen are complete
mysteries even to people who like to think of themselves (perhaps
wrongly) as part of the "initiated" (like myself). I can honestly say
that I have no idea whatsoever what the decision processes look like at
this point.

Cheers,
   - Andreas