Decision processes (was: Re: The state of the Squeak community)

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 11:13:49 UTC 2006

On 1/22/06, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> Take 3.9 for example [...]

Well, you're right of course. We're still finding a way to do this,
but in this case I recall that stuff was proposed, most likely debated
;-), and then people went on with doing it which probably meant that
they felt that the community's response to the proposals was mostly
positive. There are always better ways but as we're new at this...

Anyway, I suggested last week on the SqF board list that we find a 4.0
team lead - 3.9a is approaching beta status, and I hope the beta
period will be short so 4.0 development can start soon. A first task
for a 4.0 team lead could be to try to dig up the decision making
process around 3.9 and propose something better. Then use that process
to drive the process for what should land in 4.0 and what not. Oh, and
gather a team around him, of course. Sounds like a busy guy, this 4.0
team lead ;-)

It's not official, and it's probably better to wait until after the
board elections before the SqF board "appoints" a team load, but it'd
be nice if people start thinking about the post-3.9 future, including
on how to drive functionality decisions and who would be a good team
lead.