Do you think that squeak is long overdue for a Refactoring only pass.

Peace Jerome peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 00:56:22 UTC 2006

Squeak has had a lot on its plate. And as Marcus and
Stef deliver 3.9 with a lot of good features, it would
be good to let Squeak take time for digestion.

The goal of a refactoring pass is that no behaviour is
changed and definitely no new features added. The code
is rearranged to make more sense organizationally. And
methods that now carry the kitchen sink along with
them get to put the sink back in the kitchen where it
belongs.

As I try to learn squeak by bug hunting, I am
recongizing a lot of bugs are there because of
confusion on the part of the would be maintainer. More
over I am seeing a lot of code that is hard to track
and easy to get confused by. In otherwords hard to
maintain.

A breather would be in order.

The smell detecters should be brought out of moth
balls. The cobwebs cleaned from the attic, the rugs
taken out an beaten. The windows cleaned and opened so
everything can be aired out.

It could be just a short iteration. The code needs it.
It would work the same at the end as it did at the
beginning and we would have a cleaner base from which
to add our new improvements.

Yours in service,

Jerome Peace

Addenda: If you will look at Mantis #0002568: How much
should warpblt inherit from BitBlt???	 You will see
where this is coming from and why it is necessary.

Also: What would be really nice IMHO would be to
follow this with a short pass dedicated to just the
bug fixes that will have accumulated as we stuck to
the discipline of a refactoring pass.