Do you think that squeak is long overdue for a Refactoring only pass.

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 09:19:43 UTC 2006

On 1/24/06, Peace Jerome <peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The smell detecters should be brought out of moth
> balls. The cobwebs cleaned from the attic, the rugs
> taken out an beaten. The windows cleaned and opened so
> everything can be aired out.

Yup. Personally, I think:
- Start refactoring Collections and Morphic using Traits - I think
these two packages have a lot of code duplication all over the place
that could be neatly cleaned up in that way;
- Junk Etoys (SqueakLand has made it abundandly clear they're not
interested in us maintaing Etoys; we need to see whether it makes
sense to maintain a separate Etoys just for Smalland(?));
- Bring all unit tests to green. All of them (so junk that SUnit unit
test that is supposed to give red - green is green, not 'all green but
one red and you have to check every time whether it is that Sunit
test'). I can start running Squeak's on Fire to support that process.
- Refactor mercilessly and take no prisoners.

In fact, all of that could be done during 3.9b. After all, refactoring
is not changing behavior, by definition :-).