Squeak, gumstix, robots, and SmartRefStreams

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Jan 26 06:48:05 UTC 2006

On 25-Jan-06, at 7:45 PM, Dave Hylands wrote:

> Does Squeak do interpretation of the floating point itself? I guess
> the VM might be doing some kind of compensation.

yup, it does. There's macros for fetching the Float and making a
double and vice versa of course. If they have set the floating point
library up the same as for RISC OS you could steal the versions from
the RISCOS platform tree.

> The new gumstix builds also use a soft-float library (so no context
> switches into the kernel) whereas I think that the VM you're using
> does kernel emulated floating point.
Reminds me of the fun of getting things going on the NetWinder; gcc
2.95 (etc) combined with the NW floating point emulator and/or
library was terrible. It wasn't any  better a while later when we got
VW running (well, trotting) on it.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Nihil est--in vita priore ego imperator
Romanus fui = That's nothing--in a previous life I was a Roman Emperor.