Current traits implementation breaks VM compatibility (was: Error while setting jpeg background from file (primitive failed))

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at techunix.technion.ac.il
Mon Jan 30 14:35:24 UTC 2006

As one of the people involved in the implementation, I apologize for
that, I didn't notice that effect.

Note that an in-the-image fix (or rather, hack) is to take those
variables outside Behavior, and store them in an IdentityDictionary.
This is simple to code, but it is not necessarily trivial to convert to
this (requires recompiling all metaclasses, again).

Since in the stable state, the right thing to do is probably to have
those variables in Behavior, it might be better to bite the bullet and
change the VM. BTW, any chance this dependecy of the VM on the image can
be removed, instead of just changed? that would make the VM change
backwards compatible...

While I can see that, for example, printing a debug stack requires the
VM to know about class names, it is not obvious to me that type checks
should use names rather than identities. Then again, there is a lot
about the VM that I don't understand...

Daniel