Proposal for a Squeak migration meeting

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ext.cri74.org
Sat Jul 1 07:06:39 UTC 2006

stéphane ducasse a écrit :

> On 28 juin 06, at 10:02, Cees De Groot wrote:
>
>> On 6/28/06, goran at krampe.se <goran at krampe.se> wrote:
>>
>>> Was it too long to read? :)
>>>
>> No, it was too correct to need commenting :-).
>>
>> A little quote from that mail:
>>
>>> But generally I think the time is right for us to "burn the disk
>>> packs!".
>>

>> +1
>

> The main problem is who would do that? Since we are not even able to
> harvest fixes.

The reason may not be only for a lack a human resources. People may
think it does not worth the effort for a project where the license issue
 has not be fixed. I bet that with a better integration of Squeak in the
free software community we may have more success in harvesting and
things like that.

> Now what we can do is to perform an audit of the assets we have and
> their status:
>
> - NewCompiler (nearly there and could be APSL/MIT/Squeak-L)
> - Tweak ?
> - OmniBrowser
> - MC
> - YAXO
>
> I have the impression that we cannot restart from scratch without a
> clear analysis of the current
> status.

Yeah, regarding code owned by Dysney, I guess Morph anbd Etoys count for
a major part, right?

In the other hand, reading at the Tweak RoadMap, in particular:

---
Morphic+MVC Removal

Tweak 1.0 should have enough support to be able to drop Morphic and MVC
from it; 1.1 should be complete enough to be able to do all programming
activities in Tweak itself (ToolBuilder might affect this).
---

It looks like Morph and Etoys should be replaced step by step by Tweak.
At least it will be a major move forward regarding the Squeak
integration in the free software community...

Hilaire