Proposal for a Squeak migration meeting

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ext.cri74.org
Tue Jul 4 20:53:39 UTC 2006

Cees De Groot a écrit :
> On 7/3/06, Hilaire Fernandes <hilaire at ext.cri74.org> wrote:
>
>> So know I still wonder is the objective of Tweak is still to replace the
>> morphic layer or did the objective changed?
>

> As far as I know, that's still the objective.
>
> However, IIRC Andreas has stated at at least one occasion in
> unequivocally clear words that Tweak is primarily for his own projects
> (Croquet, Etoys(?)). In other words, he is not going to commit to
> spend time to work at Tweak for the community (knowing him, he might
> still do it, but we can't count on it ;-)).

Okay, I was not aware of that. It is sad if Tweak developers are not
interested to get Tweak maintstream in Squeak. In this case (I hope it
is not the case), bascicly there are only two options:

1. the actual morph stuff can be relicenced (this appear to be very
unlikely as this code AFAIK were developped at Dynsey), and this is just
fine.

2. look for an alternative GUI solution. Very recently  we heard about
Bruno Luca and Goran Krampe working on a GTK+ version. Bootstraping with
a GTK+ version then getting away the Morph/Etoys layer will then remove
a big load of the Dynsey code.

The solution 2. could more or less look like a fork of Squeak, kind of
OpenSqueak fork. I bet it could be very successfull among the developer
users.

Anyway if there are interest to get a Squeak version, free software
community compatible, there are not that much solutions...
If not, the actual Morph version of Squeak is just fine, but Squeak will
still be a marginal things, with very slow evolution, probably slower
than before.

> Which means that for the Squeak community at large, Tweak is a
> take-it-or-leave-it deal. People can send patches and/or enhancements
> to Andreas, but he is likely to decide on accepting them only in the
> context of his work, and not primarily to do the community a favor.

Without commitment of the lead developpers of Tweak to get it in Squeak,
it is useless to send such patch and enhancement. Hum, I will even say
it will be unwise to use it to develop application if there are no
community behind.

> (note: I'm totally fine with Andreas' position here. It is his code
> after all, he can do with it as he pleases. Just that people don't
> misunderstand why I bring up this issue)

Sure, this is free software world!

Hilaire