Squeak 3.9 kernel image - the next release

Pavel Krivanek squeak1 at continentalbrno.cz
Thu Jul 6 19:36:33 UTC 2006

On 7/6/06, Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene <edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> Pavel Krivanek puso en su mail :
>
> > Finally the resultant image contains no obsolete classes... ufff...
> > :-) Some references were really hard to find and destroy if you can
> > work only with console. I have also removed many unsent messages
> > automatically.
> Congratulations !!
>
> I wish you could publish some about how to reach a different class set.
> In particular , one without any of Traits (this could origin a small one
> image) and with minimal network for remote growing posibility.
>
> Edgar

The process of self-bootstrapping is universal and it would be nice to
have separated packages. One for general self-bootstrapping support
and the next packages for concrete images. There's one next reason to
do that - the current code is extremelly ugly :-)

I don't expect that you will start with the original big image. I have
done it twice and I hope that I will not have to do it again because
it's *slavery*.

See Bootstrap>>createMirrors to see how to create mirrors. In fact, if
the original class doesn't contain pools, the mirror may be created
simply using browser. The MirrorsBrowser then can help with tunning of
the new mirrors world.

Have you got some concrete questions?

I've got one request. Do something what can push us forward. I don't
think that trying to remove traits is good idea (now). We've got the
old version for Squeak 3.7 that can be used for such projects. If you
want network support, create package, not new image.

-- Pavel