SqueakGTK or SqueakWX mainstream in Squeak.org

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ext.cri74.org
Fri Jul 7 15:19:13 UTC 2006

(Still with the idea to get a core Squeak.org version, free software
community compatible)

A few days ago Bruno as announced some progress in SqueakGTK work. Last
year there were this couple of release with wxSqueak, since then it
seems to be quiet.

Nevertheless, should we not give a chance to these projects and
carefully examine how we could take one of them to be mainstream in
Squeak.org.

There are several benefices to integrate a third party widgetery:

* We do no need to maintain it, only the binding
* Squeak could be use to write more traditional GUI application
* It will make us closer to the Squeak.org version, free software
community compatible

Next come the Morphic issue if it can be relisenced:
1. Morphic could be used to bootstrap the GIU Squeak.org version
2. GUI IDE tools could be developed with ToolBuilder
3. Next an unloadable version of Morphic could be arranged.

Even if we can not relicense Morphic, we could get a reduced version of
Squeak.org without it, and also the possibility to load it and embed it
in the GUI (as it was demonstrated there
http://www.swerlingphoto.com/squeak/wxmorphic/WxMorphic.html)

In this vision of a Squeak.org, Morphic will be an extension canvas
which can be load in Squeak.org at will.

Many of us would like to keep and improve Morphic, many resources were
developed for it. That way we could get the best of the two world.

Bruno Luca, Rob Gayvert is it something that sound appealing to you?

What do think other?

Does it sound appealing or is just nuts ?

Hilaire