Alan Kay's EuroPython Keynote

Chris Muller chris at funkyobjects.org
Fri Jul 7 18:09:38 UTC 2006

> It has only a few lines more than the smalltalk (I  included a
> smalltalk version), python, ruby,... version but comes with a much

Hi Markus, I didn't see any Smalltalk on that page.  Just for fun I
coded up that reverse game and posted it, we'll see if it shows up.  It
was 8 lines "beating" Ruby by 2 lines and Python by 1.

Here's the code I ended up with:

numbers := (1 to: 9) asArray shuffled.
steps := 0.

[ Transcript cr; show: numbers.
numbers isSorted ] whileFalse:
	[ flipCount := (FillInTheBlank request: 'reverse how many?') asNumber.
	1 to: flipCount//2 do: [ :n | numbers swap: n with: flipCount-n+1 ].
	steps := steps + 1 ].

Transcript cr; show: 'done, that took you ', steps printString, '
steps.'

Strange, I'm not sure why there are ~20 languages (including "REBOL")
represented but no mention of Smalltalk anywhere, especially if you had
submitted it..

Cheers..