OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Howard Stearns hstearns at wisc.edu
Fri Jul 7 19:38:05 UTC 2006

Here's how the creator of Lisp explained -- in 1978 -- why Lisp still
had Lots of Irritating Silly Parenthesis:

   "Another reason for the initial acceptance of awkwardnesses in the
internal form of LISP is that we still expected to switch to writing
programs as M-expressions [infix format]. The project of defining M-
expressions precisely and compiling them or at least translating them
into S-expressions was neither finalized nor explicitly abandoned. It
just receded into the indefinite future, and a new generation of
programmers appeared who preferred internal notation to any FORTRAN-
like or ALGOL-like notation that could be devised."

Now, one could look at the acceptance of Smalltalk and the acceptance
of Lisp and say, "See, the appearance DOES matter!" On the other
hand, there HAVE been plenty of examples where an attempt to make
Lisp syntax more "normal" and "acceptable to the enterprise software
community" have not made a dent. On the third hand, one might argue
that Java....

Well anyway, I think the parallels are interesting.
-H