Stef's Squeak Grand Vision

Bruno Luca lethalman88 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 10:18:05 UTC 2006

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 10:12:48 +0200, stéphane ducasse
<ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:

> Hi Hilaire
>
> Here is my **personal** vision for the future:
>
> Making Squeak a software platform (for web dev, education dev,
> dreaming....)
>
> 	- Small kernel (We should help Spoon)
> 	- Good package (may be MC2)
> 	- Good library (Stream, file, network)
> 	- Good set of tools
> 		- OB, Refactoring Engine, coverage browser, new code browser, shout,
> 		- ecompletion, new compiler,
> 	- Connection with the outer world (GTK, vwxWidgets)
> 	- removing broken stuff
> 	- Cleaning internal (Set, Dictionary....)
>
> Possibly with clear OS license.
>
> Doing that with good software engineering practices
> 	- Tests
> 	- Test Server
> 	- Building scripts
>
> I will slowly work on that. Note that this is still the vision behind
> 3.9.
> If you are interested I can point to work to be done to arrive to that
> point.
>
> Stef

I always can't understand what these discussion mean, my English is not
good enough for :)
However, i think Andreas Raab' callbacks-related patch are a really nice
start point to avoid a VM for Gtk and Wx plugins. The Gtk plugin doesn't
modify the internals of the VM, it's a simple external plugin.

New coming users shouldn't recompile the VM with the plugin, the plugin
must be installed as a binary package into the plugins directory, so a
generic installation script for these must exist.

Also i've seen on squeakvm.org that the Windows VM is not much developed,
latest version is 3.7.1.
What about a 3.9 version with an updated toolchain for porting plugins on
Windows?

--
www.lethalman.net - Thoughts about internet technologies