OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Dan Shafer dan at shafermedia.com
Sat Jul 8 18:25:33 UTC 2006

INteresting perspective, Trygve, and one that appears to have held
sway in the world of Smalltalk for a long, long time.

"Don't let the paint dry just yet, we're still inventing!" But THIRTY
YEARS???!!!

A few people have suggested, on this list and off, that I refer my
friends and colleagues to Dolphin Smalltalk (and, on OSX, to Ambrai
Smalltalk, which isn't nearly as far along yet). But one of the
reasons Smalltalk is in contention as a language for these projects
is its cross-platform nature. I don't want to give that up.

I've been around the fringes of this stuff for more years than I'd
like to admit. I've written several books on it. I've helped write
two major systems in it. I'm kindly disposed toward it. AND, I know
what a huge undertaking it would be to fork off a variant that would
address the specific issues I think need addressing and an even
bigger job trying then to maintain compatibility with the forward
movement of Squeak. Yes, I know I could even build a specialized
vocabulary/language on top of Squeak and completely alter the UI. I
know others have done that. But my friends and colleagues and clients
have problems today that need solutions today. It is just so
frustrating to me that after so many years, Saueak remains a
laboratory, an exploration, a learning experience. I am too old to
start over!

Dan