Updated packages (was: Re: CALL FOR 3.9 Final changes)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Jul 9 04:50:56 UTC 2006

Hi Stef -

I spent today going over all of the various fixes and changes and
produced what (hopefully) is a consistent set of changes. I say
"hopefully" because in the process of working on the various parts I
found that the in-image changes at times conflicted with other changes,
and that some of these changes were not appropriate (please, if we talk
about communication, how about the release makers telling the package
maintainers that they've changed a package?). As a result of this
process, I've decided that from now on I have will have a very clear
policy about including fixes, namely:

With the exception of critical fixes (that is fixes without which the
system would severely break) I will no longer accept changes that do not
  go through the approved process, e.g., via Mantis. That is both, for
my own sanity as a gesture of fairness towards the people who spend time
and effort reporting the bugs on Mantis. I find it deeply unfair if some
people have to go through a vetting process (in which I regularly reject
changes) and others just get a ride for free on the back of some changes
that just "somehow" end up in the image.

The latest version of the packages are here:
   http://source.squeakfoundation.org/Balloon/Ballon-ar.13.mcz
   http://source.squeakfoundation.org/Balloon/Flash-ar.5.mcz
   http://source.squeakfoundation.org/Balloon/TrueType-ar.4.mcz
   http://source.squeakfoundation.org/Compression/Compression-ar.8.mcz
   http://source.squeakfoundation.org/FFI/FFI-ar.11.mcz
   http://source.squeakfoundation.org/Graphics/Graphics-ar.38.mcz
   http://source.squeakfoundation.org/Graphics/GraphicsTest-ar.9.mcz
They mostly include the various bug fixes and merges of changes that
were already in the image (if SqF would have the log-button I'd include
the change logs... ;-)

For this round of changes there is an odd inconsistency here which I
realize but it was only in the process of looking at proposed changes
that I came to realize that in an "orderly" process I would have
rejected some of those changes outright. So, in this round there are
still various changes included that went outside the regular processes,
in the future I will not longer accept those. I have started to reject
some changes though (those that triggered the whole process, like the
one making Color depend on NaturalLanguageTranslator), so you will want
to make sure that the following bugs are properly dealt with:

	http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4166
	http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4168
	http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4169
	http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4170

With these four bugs fixed the packages should be nicely in sync.

Cheers,
   - Andreas