OmniBrowser for Squeak 3.9

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Sun Jul 9 08:14:18 UTC 2006

Hi folks,

In preparation for Squeak 3.9 going gamma, I'm getting together a
release of OmniBrowser. This will be a bit tricky because of the of
some of the changes made in 3.9. I think we'll eventually be able to
create the right abstractions to handle them, but for now, it means
OB mainline will run on Squeak 3.6 through 3.8, and there will be a
special branch for Squeak 3.9.

Here's a list of issues that have come up recently:

--
Pascal Zumkehr reported Mantis issue #4023, and I've fixed it in OB-
Standard-cwp.108.

A bug that prevented OB from opening properly in response to cmd-b.
Lukas Renggli did a fix for this, and I've merged it into the trunk.
(OB-Standard-cwp.109)

Alexandre Bergel proposed an enhancement to the 'find class...' menu
item. It turns out that his enhancement shouldn't have been
necessary. The behavior he wanted was intended in the original
implementation, but it didn't work because of a bug. Rather than use
his enhancement code, I just went back and fixed the original bug.
(OB-Standard-cwp.109)

Philippe Marschall (I think... pmm?) created a version of 'find
class...' that finds traits as well as classes. This can't go into
the OB trunk, but it should be in the Squeak 3.9, I think.

There was a bug that prevented comments from being displayed properly
in Squeak 3.9. Again, this can't go into the OB trunk, but should be
in Squeak 3.9.

Alexandre Bergel posted an action for moving a method from one
package to another. I think it's a great idea, but there's a problem
with the implementation: it introduces a dependency on Monticello,
which I want to avoid in the core browser. This idea could just as
well be implemented via PackageInfo.

Alex also posted a changeset  that causes the '-- all --' method
category to be selected when the user clicks on the class. Again, a
good idea, but the implementation is problematic. It completely by-
passes the metagraph, and makes all kinds of assumptions about what
nodes are in which column. It also makes a lot of changes to the core
library for the sake of this menu item, which makes me nervous. I
think we should delay this feature until it can be done cleanly, post
Squeak 3.9.

Lukas fixed a bug which called infinite recursion during a drag
operation. As it happens, I also found and fixed this bug, so there's
no need to merge his fix into the trunk.

Lukas also posted a cosmetic fix, which makes OB browsers visually
match the new look in Squeak 3.9. Obviously not appropriate for the
trunk, but should be in the 3.9 version.

Finally, I've done a lot of work on the core library. One of the more
important changes was to move to announcements for responding to
events. I've also done some preliminary work to support services. I
think these changes should be part of the 3.9 release as well.
--

My plan is to produce two release candidates incorporating all this
work - one for inclusion in Squeak 3.9 and one for 3.6 - 3.8. If all

Cheers,

Colin