OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Jul 9 08:19:51 UTC 2006

On 8 juil. 06, at 22:55, Dan Shafer wrote:

> Stef....
>
> On Jul 8, 2006, at 12:43 PM, stéphane ducasse wrote:
>
>> I can understand and I'm sorry that we have nothing to offer.
>
> I certainly wouldn't go THAT far! For example, I'm spending some
> serious time with Seaside this weekend. I need a Web app framework
> for a series of upcoming projects. For those projects, native
> widget look-and-feel is absolutely irrelevant. I like the
> architectural ideas behind Seaside but I'm still at the very early
> learning stage, so I'm not yet sure it's as usable and powerful as,
> e.g., Django (Python) or TurboWidgets (also Python strangely
> enough). I've tried Ruby on Rails and found it too opaque although
> extremely powerful.

In which sense: fast results when starting with? May be one guy
should release the Seaside on Rails he did. My impression with Ror
is that it is fast but then.

Have a look at netstyle.ch projects:
	- www.prolife.ch
	- www.squeaksource.com
for the public ones

or www.lukas-renggli.ch/smalltalk/pier/

did you look at www.dabbledb.com/utr
because this is a really cool seaside application.

BTW you can also use VW: it is platform independent and have Seaside
too.