OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Rob Gayvert rtg at rochester.rr.com
Sun Jul 9 13:08:04 UTC 2006

Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> Rob Gayvert a écrit :
>
>>Dan,
>>
>>My 0.4 release was reasonably solid for Win32, but the Mac version
>>wasn't as good (partly my fault, partly the state of wxMac 2.5), and the
>>Linux version wasn't really usable. I'm hoping that the 0.5 release
>

> I noted the Linux version is a bit slow (I cannot compare to the other
> version).
> Is it related to Squeak or is related to wxWidget?
>
> At least in the Linux  version, AFAIK, with wxWidget you have two levels
> of indirection:
>  wxWidget <--> GTK+ <-->Xlib
> It may also explain why it seems slow.

It's due to competition between the Squeak event loop, which uses Xlib,
and the wxWidgets event loop, which uses GTK. I haven't resolved this
entirely yet, but my current version feels much faster. I don't think
the extra indirection should have any noticeable effect for most
situations -- once the events get through, rendering is very fast.

.. Rob