Squeak pros and cons from a casual user

karl karl.ramberg at chello.se
Mon Jul 10 18:49:05 UTC 2006

Torsten Sadowski skrev:
> Hi Lethalman,
>
> writing good code is a refinement of writing any code. Humans make errors and
> the result of these errors in a stable system should not be catastrophic. I
> tried running my calculations forked below the UI Process but this hung the
> image all the same. A big problem are unintentional loops. Smalltalk can work
> with fractions and some Morphs use these fraction and if they become large
> Smalltalk can take virtually ages to complete a calculation.

The image is a great thing but it can also be a pain in the behind when
you try to find
stray objects and processes out of control etc. There is some real zen
to image hacking that only
a few über geeks are capable of. Building the right tools and sand
boxing for mere mortals would
help. I remember from my brief HyperCard period that you ran it on 5
different levels, from
being able to change the whole stack to being able to just run. The
Squeakland image has a simple
sand boxing but it is still possible to create etoys that recurse out of
control. I believe some kind of
level of safety could be introduced without sacrificing the turtles all
the way down experience.

Karl