Navigating traits?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Jul 11 05:51:32 UTC 2006

Hi Folks -

Just curious, but how do people navigate traits today? I'm completely
overwhelmed by seeing twenty "implementors" of a message that originates
from a single trait and is merely used in twenty places. The browsers,
senders, implementors really do nothing to filter any such methods. It's
*very* painful even trying to understand along which lines the metaclass
kernel is now structured if you can't even tell what is an actual
implementor and what is simply inherited ("used" for traits but it's
effectively the same).

How do other people deal with that? Do you really browse to a class and
compare the traits listed in its definition with the ones you see in
implementors, and then browse to that trait and do the same? That's what
I've been doing today and ... shall we say ... it is not particularly
effective ;-)

Any advice on better practices would be hugely welcome. BTW, why are
these messages displayed at all? We don't show other inherited methods
either so what's so special about traits method that they need to be
shown in multiple places by default?

Cheers,
   - Andreas