Tweak mainstream in Squeak

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 11 12:21:40 UTC 2006

Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> writes:
> Lex Spoon wrote:
> > This is
> > different from Morphic, where Morphic was initially available in
> > Squeak right beside MVC.
>
> But what is your point, exactly?
[...]
> And for the records, the reason why Morphic was initially available in
> Squeak right beside MVC was because the people who worked on it (SqC)
> had control over BOTH.

I had no point.  There are more people involved in Squeak now, and
there is more going on, and so things are just more complicated now.

Distributions would help with this problem.  I did a distribution for
Squeak 3.7 [1], and I think the basic techniques would work fine for a
3.8-based distribution.  A distributions approach would mean that the
primary development groups only need to *generally* cooperate;
distribution maintainers would then do all the little details needed
to make all this different software coexist.

-Lex

[1] http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3835