can not install Chronos

Alan Lovejoy squeak-dev.sourcery at forum-mail.net
Tue Jul 11 16:42:42 UTC 2006

Phillipe,

The overrides of <HTTPSocket class >> #httpProxyServer> and <HTTPSocket
class >> #httpProxyPort> are a) uninitentional, and b) bytecode-identical to
the originals in any case.  I will remove both of those overrides in the
next Chronos release.

As I use the term, neither <SocketStream >> #skip:> nor <SocketStream >>
#peek> qualify as "overrides," since SocketStream does not inherit either
message, and since they are additions, not modificiations of existing
methods (as of Squeak 3.8.)  Theoretically, that means they could only break
other packages/apps in cases where those other packages/apps add methods
with the same selectors to the same class hierarchy.  Is that why you refer
to them as "overrides"? (If so, the more precise term would be "conflicts.")

Both <SocketStream >> #skip:> and <SocketStream >> #peek> are necessary to
the functionality of Passport.  However, Chronos only needs that
functionality in the case where the Chronos Time Zone Repository is accessed
remotely over HTTP--which is not the default set-up.

Perhaps Passport would work just as well with the conflicting versions of
<SocketStream >> #skip:> and <SocketStream >> #peek>? I can test that
hypothesis, if you will tell me where to find the conflicting versions of
those methods.

--Alan