Really painful bug in 3.9

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Fri Jul 14 17:55:43 UTC 2006

Hi folks,

Normally I work in 3.7, but recently I've been working on getting OB
up to snuff in 3.9. It's no fun.

It seems that slow drawing problem is still around in 3.9 and worse
than ever. In the good old days, you could watch each window being
redrawn in turn, and you could see text being drawn character by
character. Thanks to the radial gradients in 3.9's  SystemWindows,
you now get to watch every window redraw EACH PIXEL of the gradient
as well. Opening and closing debuggers can take minutes if you've got
a lot of windows open.

This problem has been around for at least a year, and has been
discussed several times. See, for example:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2005-June/
092514.html
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-January/
099650.html
http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=2359

Fixing this is beyond my ken, so I can only appeal to the gurus out
there: please, don't let 3.9  ship with this bug.

Colin