Saving morphs to file

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Jul 18 08:07:40 UTC 2006

On 18.07.2006, at 07:33, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Chris Muller wrote:
>> Hmm, well your good question sent me on a big chase that led me to
>> enlightenment, thank you.  The short answer is "no".  The long answer
>> follows.
>
> I'm actually slightly relieved because it means I didn't miss
> anything stupidly simple ;-) I spent a *lot* of brainpower on this
> problem in particular and I found it to be a really hard one.

The solution would be, of course, to not use offsets for instvar
access in the bytecode... the binding name->offset happens far too
early.

For everything but interpretation, bytecode sucks. Thus we should
have a better representation for these kind of things and use bytecode
*only* for execution (if at all). Not as a meta model for methods,
not for making code persistent and especially not for general code
motion
in distributed systems. There are much better representations for
that, see i.e. the research of Michael Franz (e.g. Slim Binaries an
later SafeTSA).

      Marcus