[Ann] DuoSystemBrowser

Roel Wuyts Roel.Wuyts at ulb.ac.be
Thu Jul 20 14:29:35 UTC 2006

Hello people,

based on the excellent OmniBrowser framework I recently started
working on a new SystemBrowser that is loosely based on the one from
VisualWorks.

The key feature is found on the two top-left frames: instead of
showing categories and classes, as in the normal System Browser, this
browser shows Monticello packages and (hierarchies of) classes.
Moreover, these panes can be switched in which case the left pane
becomes a hierarchy view of whatever classes was selected before, and
the second pane shows all the packages this class is defined in or
has extensions in.

Sounds complicated, right ? Well, it is actually extremely easy to
use and a breeze if you ever open hierarchy browsers on a class to
see what you are inheriting, or if you use class extensions.

Before I continue working on this, I am interested in all kinds of
feedback, since if not enough people are interested (positively or
negatively) I cannot motivate myself to invest much time :-) Most
specifically I am looking for feedback from Monticello experts, since
the current implementation of getting packages etc. does not feel
right (allthough it works, I only use my browser to develop in, and I
use it for publishing to SqueakSource).

If you are ready to play with it: find the package named
'DuoSystemBrowser3.9' on SqueakSource. And, yes, it is for Squeak3.9.

--
Roel