Condensed Sources vs. Squeak Maintainence

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Jul 24 08:12:22 UTC 2006

On 24.07.2006, at 09:41, Mathieu SUEN wrote:

> 2006/7/24, Marcus Denker <denker at iam.unibe.ch>:
>>
>> On 24.07.2006, at 08:46, Peace Jerome wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >

>> > I've noticed that condensing sources is on the todo
>> > list of the 3dot9 gamma push.
>> >

>> One of the problems is that the .changes is limited to 32 MB,
>> and 3.9 7048 is already 25MB, which means people would
>> very soon see the limit in normal use (e.g. when loading a bunch
>> of packages).
>>

> And can we extend the limit?

1) Yes, but it is some work.
2) Unrealistic to do in 3.9beta
3) Even if it is extended, do we then want to ship a 50MB changes
     file? or a 500MB one in 20 years?

For 1): We have properties for CompiledMethods
in 3.9 that could be used to store the sourcePointer as a real
Integer, as a start.
but then it would be nice to have compiledMethod be "real" objects
(Tims vm
patch from 1997...). And then the whole thing should be re-thougt
taking into
account the types of systems we have now. The design is from pre
1980... there
sure are somet things that can be designed cleaner on todays systems.

E.g. if compressed sources are 5MB. Do we really need to store them
on Disk?
If yes, why not provide a general mechanism for this that could be
used for other kinds
of data that is not often accessed (e.g. the Unicode tables, in-image
font and graphics)?

       Marcus