OSProcess?

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Tue Jul 25 03:33:51 UTC 2006

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 22:21:38 +0200, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>> I don't have any better ideas - but how about a worse one - how about
>> compiling the unix OSProcess plugin (and unix vm) under cygwin?
>> Perhaps it has never been done, but it may be fun to try.

No, I have done it, recently, for the 3.8bx VM. Can send the hacked
scripts if someone wants to save time.

>> Cygwin
>> supports most of the unix/posix API.

In a nightmare fashion, yes. It tries to translate everything into a .dll
call to Win$$ so all Squeak plugins must be set to internal because most
of them call back (which does seem to be a problem between .dll and its
.exe on win$$ in general).

And, you'll have to use cygwin's (not so stable) X11. In particular, there
is no lfb (linear frame buffer) offered other than by X11. And, Squeak
(aio?) is very unstable under cygwin: it can be run without timer or else
without mouse, one really has choice ;-)

/Klaus