Squeak Maintainence and Condensed Sources

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Jul 25 06:54:18 UTC 2006

On 25 juil. 06, at 06:15, Peace Jerome wrote:

> Squeak Maintainence and Condensed Sources
>
> Hi Marcus,
>
> Thank you for your first reply to
> Condensed Sources vs. Squeak Maintainence
>
> To restate the essesnce of my concern:
>
> I believe a great deal of code will rot and squeak
> will become a lot more fragile than it already is if
> you compress sources now in the process of finalizing
> 3.9.

Why do you say that kind of thing?
I really do not get it. This is not true.

> I understand your concern about the changes file going
> over its limit.
>
> I also understand the great deal of effort you and
> stef have put it to 3.9 to date. And that getting
> things done has largely relied on your time and
> effort.  Easy to implement solutions would be
> appreciated I imagine?
>
> First the task of getting a 3.10 with all changes from
> 3.9 would start with '3.9a with all changes from 3.0'
> that Doug Way (bless his heart) produced after I said
> please three times in one post.

But this will not scale!

> Second condensed sources should come at the beginning
> of an alpha cycle not at an end.

So you will not get a true condense version but one with all the changes
from that version.

> So one alternative
> is to condense sources with the first version of 3.9
> alpha (or the 3.8 version just before that name
> change.  And produce a 3.9 with all changes from 3.8
> (condensed) source. That would not be as nice but it
> would at least be acceptable.

> You and Stef have been given arbitrary authority to
> determine how 3.9 gets made.  The consequences of how
> you choose to use that authority and what decisions
> you make affects the whole community.

But are you serious? Do you want us to deliver a system that
you CANNOT use? Because you cannot even load any decent
package? Is it really what you want?

> I see several of those decisions as increasing the
> brittleness of squeak and I am voicing my concerns. I
> ask only that you do your best to address them.

Have you checked the number of bug fixes that we integrated/took care?
Instead of complaining like that the only way to go is:
	- build a simple infrastructure so that we can browse any code version
	- fix the limit of the 32Mb

There are no other choice

Stef