Squeak Maintainence...(reply to Stef) (some what long)

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Jul 26 07:54:59 UTC 2006

> If it doesn’t scale then you have to stop at
> somepoint. The end of a development cycle is the worst
> place to stop.  The beginning of one is better.

But we are past the point where we could do it.
TO REPEAT: THE CHANGES FILE IS AT 25MB
*NOW*. ITS MAXIMUM IS 32MB. THIS IS NOT
FIXABLE IN BETA.

> Yes.  You would have a 3.9 with all changes from
> Squeak-6665. This gives a way to check on the history
> of changes in 3.9. That’s what I need. My experience
> with Doug’ 6665 with all changes is that it is a BIG
> help.  It meant being able to track down programers
> intentions and determining where and when things went
> wrong.

But we will reach the limit of 32MB if we build on top
of the "all changes from 3.0" version! And "All changes
from 3.9" we have.

Squeak3.8a.from3.0.changes  20.7MB
Squeak3.8.changes                   9MB
Squeak3.9b-7048.changes       24.8MB
         diff to 3.8:                               15.8 MB
====================================
Squeak3.8a.from3.0.changes + diff = 20.7 + 15.8 = 36.5

36.6 > 32 ==> We have a problem.

> I think we are having language problems again. How do
> I make myself clear.
> What I am asking for is for the sake of maintainence.
>
> 3.8 was delivered.  Then the version with the full
> changes was made secondarily. It was made after 3-6
> months delay when Doug responded to my second request.
> I am just asking that my need for this change history
> be considered. I am hoping it can be honored at an
> earlier point in time to increase its usefulness.
>
> I expect 3.9 to be delivered. And a 3.9 with full
> changes to be made available at the same time or
> shortly there after.

But it is technically impossible now, as the changes file
is limited to 32MB. so?

>> Because you cannot even load any decent
>> package?
>
> Huh? When do you run out of the ability to load decent
> packages?

because the changes file will grow to >32MB and
you get an error message.

    Marcus