Squeak Maintainence and etc. ; Problem restatement.

Peace Jerome peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 27 05:21:41 UTC 2006

Hi Marcus,

Your replys to my last couple of posts have been very
illuminating and helpful in clearing up some
misunderstandings (mine).

I think I see what can be done at this point.

To restate:

My goal:

1) In order to research fixes to bugs in squeak I
would like to have easy access to the version history
of changed methods. The images with all changes from
3.0 thru xxxx along with the changes in the current
image of 3.9 have been my main tools in doing that
research.

2) This is important but not urgent and does not need
to delay you in finalizing 3.9

3) If you have complete changes from 6665 (3.8final =
3.9a first ) in the current 3.9a 7048 (or what ever
good version beyond ) then with current resources my
research would require me to fire up an extra image
but would be doable.

I get from what you asked below that 7048 is
essentially equivalent to what I was trying to
suggest.
And that it is not missing any vital historical
information.

Is that a correct understanding?

**********************
**********************

4) Since it would be REALLY HELPFUL to have access to
all version/change infomation in a single search. The
problem becomes is there a simple way to do that from
where we are now.

**********************

Is 32M a limit for one change file?
Can I(or someone with more expericence) modify the
version searcher to search more than one changes file.

E.G. "Hi friendly version searcher most of the
information you need is right here in the connected
changes file but would you kindly also search file
AllChangesUpto6665.changes for versions that happened
before our time?"

That would be beautiful. Maybe then we could go back
to version 1.1 and really see how squeak developed.
That would really be educational and helpful.

Thanks again for sticking with me on this. I look
forward to your next reply.

Yours in service, -- Jerome Peace

--- Marcus Denker <denker at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:

> On 26.07.2006, at 05:41, Peace Jerome wrote:
>

> > Please give consideration to the formula:
> > -Create a condensed source version for Squeak-6665
> > (either 3.8 final or 3.9a start).
> > -Provide the load scripts to produce 3.9final with
> all
> > changes from that source.
> > -And have that as a deliveralble for the squeak
> > maintenence folks.
> >

> How would that be different from what we have now?

Duh! That was the illuminating question.

Cheers --Jer