Towards a small kernel image

Pavel Krivanek squeak1 at continentalbrno.cz
Fri Jul 28 06:43:44 UTC 2006

> Are there any plans to use your small image as the official base
> image? Using a small base image then importing externally supported
> packages should make image maintenence much easier as there will be
> less code. Is this a good time to burn bridges to move forward to
> a more modular future?

Good question. Version 3.9 is in the final stage and I think that
Stef, Marcus, Cees, Craig, Bert, Tim and Yoshiki should set the plan
for 3.10 - goals and priorities.

Stef declared that he wants to burn bridges in this version.

We want to have Squeak free and modular and there are three possible
starting points.  The free version One, Craig's Spoon and the image of
mine.

I wanted to show that my way is the right one. We have some GUI-less
image with SUnit tests, we are able to run Seaside applications and we
are able to load the rest of current Squeak sources and run Morphic.

Unfortunately there's almost nobody who can maintain the next release.
And if we will create the basic kernel imege, there will be no human
resources to unify it as the base for the current Squeak forks.

-- Pavel