Squeak Maintainence and etc. ; Problem restatement.

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Jul 27 08:37:36 UTC 2006

> My goal:
>
> 1) In order to research fixes to bugs in squeak I
> would like to have easy access to the version history
> of changed methods. The images with all changes from
> 3.0 thru xxxx along with the changes in the current
> image of 3.9 have been my main tools in doing that
> research.
>
> 2) This is important but not urgent and does not need
> to delay you in finalizing 3.9

Ok
What would be good is to have a DB to which we could push all the
changes
of squeak since the beginning.

> 3) If you have complete changes from 6665 (3.8final =
> 3.9a first ) in the current 3.9a 7048 (or what ever
> good version beyond ) then with current resources my
> research would require me to fire up an extra image
> but would be doable.
>
> I get from what you asked below that 7048 is
> essentially equivalent to what I was trying to
> suggest.

No because we did not started from a full history image if I remember
correctly.

> And that it is not missing any vital historical
> information.
>
> Is that a correct understanding?
>
> **********************
> **********************
>
> 4) Since it would be REALLY HELPFUL to have access to
> all version/change infomation in a single search. The
> problem becomes is there a simple way to do that from
> where we are now.
>

> **********************
>
> Is 32M a limit for one change file?
> Can I(or someone with more expericence) modify the
> version searcher to search more than one changes file.

Sources are hardcoded in Smalltalk
look for at: 1 and at: 2
So this should be changed but with care.

> E.G. "Hi friendly version searcher most of the
> information you need is right here in the connected
> changes file but would you kindly also search file
> AllChangesUpto6665.changes for versions that happened
> before our time?"
>
> That would be beautiful. Maybe then we could go back
> to version 1.1 and really see how squeak developed.
> That would really be educational and helpful.

yes.
The best would be to have an external DB to manage
all the versions (in addition to changes).