Doits vs. methods

Wolfgang Eder edw at generalmagic.at
Fri Jul 28 14:06:23 UTC 2006

Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> I share your view on doIt's, simply because they survive fileOut's and
> fileIn's better and are kept in the context where they belong to.
>
> What do you do with doIt's like "Smalltalk garbageCollect", e.g. those
> which are not related to project work?

i just checked: most methods (there are ca 240) relate to some
task (e.g. packaging, clearCaches, ...) or some project
(mp3playlists, ...)

of course, since it's regular methods, i sometimes to
some refactoring/cleanup.

one more thought on this topic:
you can use class and instance variables in your scripts;
(i use class vars for stuff i like to stick around, inst vars
i never needed). this is much less obscure that workspace
variables imho

cheers,
wolfgang