Squeak Maintainence: Re: external DB idea

Peace Jerome peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 29 06:20:54 UTC 2006

>stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
>Thu Jul 27 08:37:36 UTC 2006  wrote:

>What would be good is to have a DB to which we could
push all the
>changes of squeak since the beginning.

I have problems with this approach as a solution to my
current need.

My goal: Is to have AS SOON AS POSSIBLE a way to
research fixes to bugs in squeak.

The DB project has too many risks associated with it
to be the soluton to that goal.
1) It will take resources.
2) It will take time.
3) There is no guarentee of the quality of the result
or that it will even work.
4) You have not stated the scope of the DB project
precisely enough to allow further assessment of risk
or desirability.
5) The scope even as stated here is too large for one
step.

It would be better to do the simplist thing that might
possibly work now. Learn from it and reassess the need
for an external DB.

My local disk abounds with Squeak .images and
.changes.

As a first step,
It would seem to me much easier just to teach a
version tracker or its equivalent to look for versions
in two .changes file. The local one and one of my
choosing.

The experience gained from this would inform the
larger project you suggest.

An alternate step,
1) If the proposed patch to allow 512MB change files
actually works then I would like a 70xx with all
changes from 3.0 as a research too for
maintainers/developers.

This might be even easier to get done. Especially if a
resourse other than you or Marcus could take on the
creation of the allChanges build.

I look forward to your response.

Your is service, -- Jerome Peace