Towards a small kernel image

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Jul 28 13:52:08 UTC 2006

On 28.07.2006, at 08:43, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

>> Are there any plans to use your small image as the official base
>> image? Using a small base image then importing externally supported
>> packages should make image maintenence much easier as there will be
>> less code. Is this a good time to burn bridges to move forward to
>> a more modular future?
>
> Good question. Version 3.9 is in the final stage and I think that

3.9 should be shipped ASAP. I don't want to wait for anything. That
what is 7048 can be considered to be 3.9

So 3.9 is in hard beta, which means that I don't think we should
wait for anything and especially not now start to do big changes.
We had over a year for big changes, and now that's over.

> Stef, Marcus, Cees, Craig, Bert, Tim and Yoshiki should set the plan
> for 3.10 - goals and priorities.
>
> Stef declared that he wants to burn bridges in this version.
>
> We want to have Squeak free and modular and there are three possible
> starting points.  The free version One, Craig's Spoon and the image of
> mine.
>
> I wanted to show that my way is the right one. We have some GUI-less
> image with SUnit tests, we are able to run Seaside applications and we
> are able to load the rest of current Squeak sources and run Morphic.
>
> Unfortunately there's almost nobody who can maintain the next release.

I personally plan to be not involved at all after 3.9 ships.

       Marcus